Before stepping into a cosmetic surgeon’s office, you should know a few things about their field. What, for instance, is cosmetic surgery? Why is researching a provider important? How do providers differ, and how can cosmetic surgery adapt to your needs? Establishing these things will provide you peace of mind as you proceed with your aesthetic cosmetic procedures.
Below, we outline 5 things you should know before getting cosmetic surgery:
1. Cosmetic Surgery is Not the Same as Plastic Surgery
While cosmetic and plastic surgery aim to improve a patient’s appearance, cosmetic surgery differs from all other types of surgeries in that:
- It focuses on enhancing appearance, while plastic surgery aims to repair defects and restore “normal” appearance and function
- Its procedures require less training and can be performed by doctors from a variety of fields, not just specialists
- Most insurance companies won’t cover the cost of this field’s elective procedures since they are not medical necessities
- It consists of several minimally invasive, office-based procedures that are often safer than other surgeries
2. Research is Important
Before you choose a cosmetic surgery clinic, research your options carefully. Greater costs do not always entail better quality.
To ensure you get the best value for your money, ask others who’ve had similar procedures with the same surgeon or clinic. Some helpful questions include:
- What was good and bad about your care?
- How did you feel about the results?
- Did you have any follow-up surgeries?
- Did you suffer complications down the road?
You can also research independent reviews online from sites like Yelp! or Google.
3. Expertise Among Cosmetic Surgeons Varies
As you look at candidate providers of your surgery, check whether they have experience with your procedure. You should ask such questions as:
- Have you performed this type of procedure before?
- What credentials do you have?
- How long have you been in practice?
- Do you have any references I can review?
4. Cosmetic Surgery Can Adapt to Patients’ Needs
Most cosmetic surgery is elective and thus more flexible than other forms of surgery. For instance, your cosmetic surgeon might suggest complementary procedures to the one you’ve sought out. Often, you may choose to have one or several procedures at once or over time. Talk with your surgeon about timing and recovery between procedures.
Cosmetic operations can provide you with years or even decades of satisfaction. Nevertheless, their results may fade in time, depending on several factors. Ask your doctor how long your results will last and whether each procedure is safe for you given your health history and current conditions.
5. Health, Motives, and Expectations Matter
Finally, note that the best candidates for cosmetic surgery have good health—cosmetic surgery cannot supplant good nutrition and exercise. Cosmetic procedures cannot replace the hard work necessary to improve your body image. Plus, a healthy lifestyle can prolong the attractive results of cosmetic surgery.
Nevertheless, you should have realistic expectations about the results of your cosmetic procedure and understand that it cannot address underlying issues like low self-esteem or body dysmorphia. The ideal candidate for cosmetic surgery has a healthy state of mind and wants to improve their appearance for themselves rather than anyone else.
Explore Aesthetic Cosmetic Procedures with ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery
ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery offers aesthetic cosmetic procedures from experienced and skilled medical professionals. From skincare and aesthetic laser treatments to eyelash and brow services, our dedicated team can deliver beautiful and long-lasting results. No matter the procedure, we strive to help our patients look and feel their best. Book an appointment with us and call (301) 679-7192.